To begin, open the Interactivity of your document (Manage > Interactivity).
Look out for the wand icon
This is what you need to select if you wish to set up interactivity automation. It can be found in the fly-out menu when clicking on a piece of interactivity on your page.
'Add Automation' button
After the wand icon has been selected, click the 'Add Automation' button.
A pop-up box will then display and the automation can be created.
Event - when the automation will happen
Delay - the number (in seconds) to delay the automation
Action - the action you wish to take when the automation runs
On page - the page that the interactivity you are automating is on
Note: different options may be available depending on the type automation. The options for using Automation on an Assessment module are broken down further below:
- When Questions Popup is Shown - this fires these events as soon as the pop up is shown.
- When Question Popup is Cancelled - this only fires if the reader closes the popup without completing the quiz.
- When [Result 1] Popup is Shown - this fires when the mentioned result is achieved. If the delay of ANY of the events is set to 0 the results popup will not be visually shown to the reader, if all of the events have a delay greater than 0 then the reader will see the results screen and the events will be fired.
- When [Result 1] Popup is Closed - this fires if the reader closes the popup after getting the mentioned result
The below example shows that a video file will play with no delay, after a More Information pop-up box is closed.
Let's break it down
We want the automation to...
- run when the pop-up box is closed.
- run with no delay.
- play a video.
- play a video that has been added to page 10-11 of the document
(note: a pop-up video has been added onto page 10 and positioned off-page).
- play the video file called 'Video of Big Ben'.
It's now possible to set a More Information pop-up box to automatically close after X amount of time.
- Event - select When Popup is Shown
- Delay - choose the length of time that you would like the pop-up box to display for
- Action - select Close This Popup
The above example shows that the popup box will display for 10 seconds before automatically closing.
Other articles in the ‘Advanced interactivity’ series
Want to see more?