To begin, open the Interactivity of your document (Manage > Interactivity).
Look out for the wand icon
This is what you need to select if you wish to set up interactivity automation. It can be found in the fly-out menu when clicking on a piece of interactivity on your page.
'Add Automation' button
After the wand icon has been selected, click the 'Add Automation' button.
A pop-up box will then display and the automation can be created.
Event - when the automation will happen
Delay - the number (in seconds) to delay the automation
Action - the action you wish to take when the automation runs
On page - the page that the interactivity you are automating is on
Note: different options may be available depending on the type automation. The options for using Automation on an Assessment module are broken down further below:
- When Questions Popup is Shown - this fires these events as soon as the pop up is shown.
- When Question Popup is Cancelled - this only fires if the reader closes the popup without completing the quiz.
- When [Result 1] Popup is Shown - this fires when the mentioned result is achieved. If the delay of ANY of the events is set to 0 the results popup will not be visually shown to the reader, if all of the events have a delay greater than 0 then the reader will see the results screen and the events will be fired.
- When [Result 1] Popup is Closed - this fires if the reader closes the popup after getting the mentioned result
The below example shows that a video file will play with no delay, after a More Information pop-up box is closed.
Let's break it down
We want the automation to...
- run when the pop-up box is closed.
- run with no delay.
- play a video.
- play a video that has been added to page 10-11 of the document
(note: a pop-up video has been added onto page 10 and positioned off-page).
- play the video file called 'Video of Big Ben'.
Other articles in the ‘Advanced interactivity’ series
Want to see more?